Policy and guidance
- A common theme is evident within all national policy from Department of Health organisations, guidance produced by professional organisations and patient society strategies to focus case-finding and intervention upon patients at high risk of suffering fragility fractures
- National policy includes:
- National Service Framework for Older People
- Department of Health Prevention Package for Older People
- Best Practice Tariff for hip fracture
- NICE Technology Appraisals and Clinical Guidelines
- Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish policy documents
- Professional guidance includes:
- Patient society strategies include:
The Breaking Point Report provided a snapshot of the current situation for women with osteoporosis in the UK.
Breaking Point described the practical steps that must be taken by healthcare professionals, policy makers and commissioners, as well as the public to prevent avoidable suffering and cost of osteoporotic fractures.